Ready yourselves for a Depressing Moment: A report from The Center for Economic and Policy Research in June, 2008, says that the real estate dive has burnt out the dream of comfortable retirement for many people close to that noble moment. “This extraordinary destruction of wealth will have tremendous implications for millions of families as they enter retirement. Coupled with a very low personal savings rate, this means that many people will only have Social Security and Medicare to rely on in their retirement.” Add to this divorces and the economy, and up to two thirds of older boomers face retirement on social security (hah!) and Medicare (double hah!).
Social Security and Medicare will buy you a case of cat food and a box of band aids. Shelter is a luxury. Some suggestions:
· Tent or refrigerator box (warm climates only)
· Abandoned oil tank. Good luck finding one.
· Cave in the woods. Make sure there’s no bear in it!
· Your car, if it’s not repossessed.
· Your spouse can have the other car, if it’s not repossessed.
· Dog house. If the dog is vicious, you will have to share.
· Dig a hole, and cover it with one of those blankets they use in forest fires. Hell, it might work.
· Dig a hole, line it with whatever you can find for warmth, and cover it with your car, if it’s not repossessed.
· Dig a hole, bury your ass in it, and pray that Big Corporations eat each other.
Or…heh heh…we could return to our past. We could become hippies, pilfer essentials from the rich, pull pranks and marches against MegaCorpoCash for media exposure, and live together in groups so we can afford actual houses with heat!